Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Secret Santa Week at the Office!

Between graduating from college in the midst of the greatest recession since the 1930's, and doing so with a sub-par GPA, I didn't exactly find companies throwing themselves at me upon my entrance into the working world. I was fortunate enough to land a job in my field however, and am currently employed as a staff accountant at a small accounting office here in Rhode Island.  I am one of seven employees, the other six comprised of five middle-aged women, and one oft absent middle-aged man (not to be confused with this guy).

Due to my gender mate's spotty attendance record, I am often the only male in the building. This, coupled with my entry level status, relegates me to some blue-collar duties your typical desk job might not require. In my 18 month tenure, I have carried bulky trash bags and cardboard across a half-acre parking lot to a dumpster, fastened white boards to office walls, assembled office chairs, installed a conference call system, and moved a refrigerator to an area deemed by the ladies to be more aesthetically pleasing than its previous location - all while in slacks and loafers.

I carry out my laborious duties with minimal grumblings; even though it's incredibly frustrating/humbling at times, I recognize the steady supply of comedic material provided me in my working environment. I also remind myself that, while this position is just a stopgap for me until I figure my shit out, these women will likely be working here until they retire or are laid off; it's their livelihood.

The job's prominent position within the ladies' lives motivates them to try and make the workplace a little more enjoyable, most notably around the holidays (the thought that work can be masked in any way to seem anything but, well, work is a source of contention between my coworkers and me - but they don't know that). This holiday season is no different. A fake Christmas tree, ordered from Staples, has been erected in the hall outside my office door, complete with lights and cheap ornaments. Nat King Cole's "The Christmas Song" can be heard through a coworker's computer speakers several times a day, but not continuously, as the radio station requires buffering every 90 seconds.

All decorations and attempts at setting a festive mood pale in comparison to this year's inaugural Secret Santa. Stretched out over four days, from Monday through Thursday, an employee must act as a Secret Santa to another employee for the duration of the week, stealthily deploying $2 gifts on their subject's desk. Follow me throughout the week, as I present you with a detailed day-by-day breakdown of both my "gives" and my "gets."

No comments:

Post a Comment